Monday, October 8, 2018

Repurposed Ironing Board

My friend, and felter extraordinaire, Kathleen Gerdes, recently had a "Yard Fair" at her home - half Yard Sale and half Craft Fair.  My big purchase? A vintage wooden ironing board! I had no place for it, and no use for it (I'm downsizing, remember?,) but couldn't seem to leave without putting it in my car. I'm so glad I did!



It was leaning against the side of Kathleen's garage when I first spotted it.


Kathleen had planned to paint sunflowers on it but, like most of us, had just too many projects going and never quite got to it.



I loved that the original label was still on the underside of the board. And it was made right here in Portland, Maine. 



 I couldn't find a date on the label but, judging from the clothes and hairstyle of the lady ironing her husband's shirt (Wow, this really is an OLD ironing board!), it's  probably from the early 1900's.
Did they really iron back then?
Did they really iron in heels back then?


After moving my "new" ironing board all around the house, I decided to check the Internet for inspiration. Other bloggers always have great ideas! These two are from Floriane at Floriane Lamarie Blog. Designer Floriane writes in French but the blog has a "translate" button which works well. (Any way, I think "vieille table a repasser" sounds a lot better than "old ironing board", don't you?)



This one is from Anita at Cedar Hill Farmhouse.

This ironing board image is from Pinterest. It caught my eye because I have the same sign (thought I was the only one!). It reads simply, "Work Hard and Be Nice". I haven't really gotten into the "Live, Laugh, Love" sign trend but this one really speaks to me so it now lives in my kitchen to remind me of what's important. I love how this vintage ironing board is styled.


 And here's mine. There were so many places I could have used it but it has finally settled into my dining area, right off the kitchen. It will be great for displaying seasonal vignettes as well as for serving when I entertain.


DH just cut back the hydrangeas for winter. They dried right in my vase. Aren't they beautiful?


And if you happen to find a newer ironing board at a yard sale, how about this idea for your laundry room, again from Floriane Lemarie?

Décoration table à repasser

Even though I refuse to think about Christmas yet, I had to share this ironing board from Becky at Beyond the Picket Fence.  How about the "tree lights" coming through the steam vents?

Décoration table à repasser

Who thinks up this stuff?

 For now, I think I'll just stick with my old wooden model.


Yours in repurposing . . . 
A lot more fun than ironing!



This post is linked to:
Amaze Me Monday #284 at Dwellings
Talk of the Town #144 at Knick of Time
Inspiration Monday at Refresh Restyle
Share A Cup #310 at Mrs. Olson blog
Share Your Style #178 at The Red Painted Cottage
Farmhouse Friday Link Party #78 at The Painted Hinge

25 comments:

  1. You have such a creative eye! What an interesting mixture of textures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Kick! Always appreciate your comments:-)

      Delete
  2. I love that you got the old ironing board. What a jewel and so many ways to use it. I'm loving the vignettes! I also must admit that I'm not ready to think about Christmas yet, but that tree from the ironing board is so cute! I'm busy downsizing again, getting serious I tell myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda,
      Ha! Ha! It is hard to pass up a good deal while downsizing. The ironing board was only $10.00 - couldn't pass it by! How are you doing with your downsizing?

      Delete
  3. WOW!! So many great ideas!! Love them all!! Thanks so much for stopping by!!
    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love old ironing boards. I have had three, but now only one that I use in my sewing room. The other two I gave to my girls. Sure are fun display pieces! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this. I have the ironing boards from both of my husband's grandmothers. One has metal legs and I use it. The other is a wooden one and it's currently in the shed waiting for the perfect spot in my to be properly cleaned and decorated basement. I have big plans for this ironing board and they are similar to what you did with yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so lucky to have these. I hope you'll share what you end up doing with the one in the shed! Cheryl

      Delete
  6. Just hopping back to let you know that you will be featured at SYC tomorrow.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete

I hope you'll leave a Comment . . . they make this blogger's day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...