Monday, October 1, 2018

Giving

It seems as if we've been "downsizing" forever!  But, the closer I get to the end, the harder the job has become. Because . . .

The "easy stuff" is gone.  Now I'm coming to the really hard stuff:  Family keepsakes, toys from when our kids were little, handmade items, items loaded with memories. What does one do with the dress your Mom wore on her honeymoon?  Grampa's violin case from his time in vaudeville?  Your sister's favorite dolls?


I've used about every method known to man woman to pare down from a 3500 square foot farmhouse to our little cape cod retirement home.  My copy of Marie Kondo's The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up is dog-eared and my little Mini Cooper could find its way to Goodwill by itself.  But the things that are left seem too special for any of  my previous methods. 


So I've come up with an unexpected solution for the "hard things":
I'm giving them away.  
To people I don't know.  No strings attached.

Here's my first gift:  My late sister, Nancy's, Ronald McDonald doll from the 1970's. 
image 0

The long-time manager of our local McDonald's was thrilled to get it. He's so touched that he plans to display Nancy's doll in a shadow box inside the store for everyone to enjoy. Nancy would like that. Score!

Next:  The vintage child's John Deere tractor and cart from the 1960's that all of our grandchildren have played with. Now even the youngest one has outgrown it.

We considered selling it on Craigslist - until we went apple-picking last weekend and saw these! It turns out that the farm, which is located in the town I taught in for years, collects John Deere tractors and artifacts. They display them in this barn,  outside among the apple trees . . . 

And in a little farm museum they've created on the property.  This farm has been in the same family for four generations and I have happy memories of taking students there to pick apples over the years.


We knew immediately that this would be the new home of our little antique John Deere. 
DH got it down from the attic and we brought it back to the farm the very next day. 


The owner of the farm was a bit reserved when he first got out of his tractor to meet us.  I think he was probably a little suspicious:  Were we trying to sell him something? Ask for a donation? Get him to make an offer on the tractor?  "No", we said "We'd just like to give this to you."


Slowly, his face brightened and he shook our hands, thanking us repeatedly. He wanted to give us apples, cider, pumpkins, whatever we wanted, but, having picked two pecks of apples just the day before, we declined.

Because we got some things even better than apples or cider from our gift to the orchard.

We made a new friend, "paid it forward" in our community, had fun, and left with good karma and full hearts.

What could be better than that?

This post is linked to:
Amaze Me Monday #283 at Dwellings
Inspiration Monday at Refresh Restyle
Talk of the Town at Knick of Time

11 comments:

  1. I love that you are giving away these treasures to those who will also treasure them. What a great idea. I know I have many items that my girls will not want but I know others would love to have. This is a great way to pay it forward. I'm smiling all over after reading this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So good to hear from you, Linda. It is so difficult to know what to do with the things our children don't want but this is working for me. Actually, I'm really enjoying the challenge of figuring out who would really appreciate the item and then actually giving it to them!

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful example you are! Thank you! You might check out a community theater in your area for Mama's dress. It's an adorable frock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Derry,
      What a great idea! We do have a little community theatre in our town, Footlights Theatre, and we go there often. Why didn't I think of that?! (Isn't giving fun?!) Thanks for taking the time to comment, Cheryl

      Delete
  3. It is difficult to get down to brass tacks and admit that not everything can be kept. I have 3 generations of my parents' military uniforms (which are not especially collectible), oodles of my father's tools, and items that appear every day. I want to be certain that I don't leave a lot of work for my daughter some day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. This is hard stuff. I have two children: one lives in a tiny NYC apartment with no space for (or interest in) my things and the other has disabilities and lives in a group home. I have to make other plans for family heirlooms. Now that I've figured this "giving method" out, I'm actually enjoying the process!!! Thanks for taking the time to comment. Have a great weekend!
      Cheryl

      Delete
  4. Thank you for your story. And to the ladies who shared theirs, thanks also for the hints....timely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome! Thanks for visiting and commenting. Hope you'll stop back, Candy!

      Delete
  5. Best story of my day!! It much easier to part with cherished things if you know they are going to be cherished in a new "home".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary,
      So happy that my little stories made your day. Giving these items to the "perfect people" has made my week! Why didn't I think of this before? Have a wonderful fall weekend!
      Cheryl

      Delete

I hope you'll leave a Comment . . . they make this blogger's day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...