Thursday, October 11, 2018

Call the Midwife

Have you ever watched a TV show that was so good you cried when it was over?
That's what happens to DH and I as each season of Call the Midwife comes to an end.
We sit on either end of the couch, in the dark, afraid to look at each other because we know we will see a few embarrassing tears.

We just finished watching Season 7 of Call the Midwife and can't wait for Season 8 in early 2019.

Call the Midwife, based on the memoirs of the late Jennifer Worth, tells the often heart-wrenching, often funny, stories of midwifery in London’s East End  in the 1950's and early 60's. The drama follows the nurses, midwives and nuns from Nonnatus House, who travel by bicycle to provide maternity care to some of the city's poorest mothers.


The series is produced by BBC1 and PBS.  Newly qualified midwife Jenny (Vanessa Redgrave) and the  eccentric, lovable community of nuns at Nonnatus House can all be found on Netflix, which is airing all 7 Seasons.

This is the perfect series to binge watch as the fall days grow shorter. I promise that it will make you laugh, cry, and maybe even want to dance.

That's because the episodes of Call the Midwife are accompanied by exactly the perfect music for the times. The soundtrack includes so many favorites from the 50's and early 60's:  Diana, Lollipop, My Special Angel, Here Comes Summer . . . 
Little Darlin', Come Softly to Me, Stranger In Paradise, Dedicated to the One I Love. If you're a Boomer like me, you can fill in the rest of the list (and probably remember all the words too!).

As the Series begins, Jenny is surprised to find herself at a convent -- she thought she was being sent to a small private hospital -- and is initially daunted by her surroundings, most notably the formidable Sister Evangelina and the unconventional Sister Monica Joan. 


But Jenny gradually begins to find her way and develops incredible friendships among the nurses, as they are drawn into the lives and homes of the women and families they treat.


I like that the producers of Call the Midwife are not afraid to address the medical and social issues of the time, including polio . . .
Thalidomide babies . . .

Down Syndrome . . .

and womens' issues like poverty, domestic violence, and the lack of birth control among women who can't afford even one more baby.

Thankfully, truth is mixed with a big dose of British humor that often makes you laugh out loud

As the nuns interact with the families of their East End neighborhood of  Poplar.

Jenny's voice lives on in Vanessa Redgrave’s crackly narration, as an elderly Jenny, who reminds us at the end of each episode . . . 

that love is often the only answer. 
   By then, I'm usually reaching for the tissues and repeating to DH, "This is just so well done". 
I say it every time. 



This post is linked to:
Share Your Cup #310 at Mrs. Olson blog
Sundays at Home #13 at The Little Farmstead
Amaze Me Monday #285 at Dwellings

11 comments:

  1. I LOVE this show! One of my favorites. I love how they deal with interesting topics and we can see how things have changed over the years. So well written and acted. I great show!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cheryl, thank you for telling me that it is on Netflix. I've been missing it, and had it all the time, just didn't know it. A true but funny story: When we moved here 4 years ago we got to be great friends with our neighbors. Even started going to their church. Anyway, one day I said to her that I was reading the best book . . . she answers, that she is reading one that she can't put down. We started comparing notes and we are reading the same book and only two chapters away from each other, LOL. It was, Call The Midwife :)
    Have a wonderful day!
    Connie :)
    By the way . . . GREAT POST!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Connie! I'm so glad that you'll be ab;e to watch all seven seasons on Netflix. I haven't read the book yet but am really looking forward to it. It's such a heartwarming, life affirming story; just makes me feel good about the world after watching an episode. Thanks for commenting and have a great fall weekend! Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of my favorite shows. Do you follow it on Insta? Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Preppy, I don't do Insta but LOVE the Midwives. Beautifully done. Thanks for commenting. Hope you have a good week as well! ~Cheryl

      Delete
  5. Someone just told me how wonderful this series is. I think I've got to start it tonight! Thanks for sharing it with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jann, You absolutlely must start watching this series. I promise you will laugh and cry each time. It is beautifully done in every way. Thanks for commenting. Hope you'll stop back! Cheryl

      Delete
    2. Jann - Let me know how you like it? Cheryl

      Delete

I hope you'll leave a Comment . . . they make this blogger's day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...