Tuesday, May 28, 2019

Let's Talk: Mammograms, Cancer & Abortion

Today I took my 43-year-old special needs daughter for her first Mammogram. I know that I was a lot more nervous than she was.
My daughter with mammographer Caroline and her helper Maggie.
"Mommy" went first to show her that it "didn't hurt".
And when it was her turn, my daughter was a trooper (as was the mammographer!).

We're both ready!
I bring this up as a gentle reminder to my all of my blog friends to be sure to stay up to date with your mammograms and wellness visits to your gyn. or primary care doctor.

"Nancy with the laughing face . . ."
Our family is BRCA2 positive so screenings for breast and ovarian cancer are very important for us.
We discovered our genetic mutation when we lost our sister, Nancy, to ovarian cancer.  This picture is difficult to look at but, having cancer is more than difficult.  I miss my sister every day.

Cheryl & Nancy
Please don't take a chance. Get screened for women's cancers and share any symptoms with your doctor, even if they seem silly. Nancy's symptoms mimicked menopause so she waited.  Then it was too late.  Here is Nancy's ovarian cancer story in her own words.

the bumper sticker on Nancy's VW
Please take a few minutes to read them


I try not to get political on this blog but I can't discuss women's health without mentioning the elephant in the room:  the attempts by a growing number of state legislatures to ban safe, legal abortion. 

Graduating from college in 1969, I grew up before Roe v. Wade.  I clearly remember horror stories of friends who became pregnant and had no options. If your family had money, you could fly to Europe for an abortion; if your family was poor or middle class, there was no safe option. Lives were ruined and families were torn apart.  Women can't get complacent. We simply CAN'T GO BACK THERE!

Image result for abortion

I was brought up Catholic. But I am firmly PRO-CHOICE. Who better to decide on such a private matter than a woman, her doctor, and, if she chooses, her clergy person? Certainly not a male politician who has never met her and does not know her medical, emotional and financial situation.
If my special needs daughter got pregnant it would literally kill her. Who should decide then?  Her family . . .  or her Congressman?  For me the choice is simple.

As a Mom, grandmother and retired teacher, this meme makes a lot of sense to me:



As women, we need to start talking - and  really listening - to our bodies, and to each other.


3 comments:

  1. Water Hack Burns 2 lb of Fat OVERNIGHT

    At least 160 000 women and men are losing weight with a easy and secret "liquid hack" to drop 1-2lbs each night while they sleep.

    It is simple and works all the time.

    This is how to do it yourself:

    1) Go grab a clear glass and fill it with water half the way

    2) Proceed to use this proven HACK

    so you'll be 1-2lbs thinner in the morning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Join our profitable company without stressing about your work, is a simple trading system just to get your plan of your choice and make a lowest of $2000 with just a little amount of investment, you can make upto $10,000 to $100,000 within a month depending on your plan of investment you can contact supporter ASAP through : tdameritrade077@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mammograms are important for detecting breast cancer in women. There is no scientific evidence linking abortion to increased breast cancer risk.


    ReplyDelete

I hope you'll leave a Comment . . . they make this blogger's day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...