Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Antiquing in North Carolina

After a long drive from Nashville, today was our first full day in the Smoky Mountains of North Carolina. Our campground is in Swannanoa, just outside of Asheville.


We managed to spend most of the day in the neighboring village of Black Mountain, N.C., which is dotted with cafes and quirky little shops. It still has its old railroad station and . . . tada! . . . antique shops along quaintly named "Cherry Street".


In the first shop we visited, I found this rusty metal basket, which will be perfect for holding some of the larger whelk shells DH and I collected on our recent sunrise beach-combing adventures in St.Augustine


In another shop, I spotted these big enameled numbers. Since there happened to be two "2s", I had to have them for the front of our red garage.  They're probably repros but for $4.00, they'll work.


My favorite find was these vintage Bingo cards, a pack of 24 for $8.00.
I know just what I'll do with them . . .


Last November some girlfriends and I saw these at a wonderful vintage shop in Maine called My Sister's Garage.  Now we can create our own!


On our way back to camp, we screeched into visited this shop right in Swannanoa.
I'm really glad we almost killed outselves making the turn stopped in.


Because DH spotted two large pieces of M.A. Hadley pottery which I don't already have in my collection.  The first is this cookie jar.


The inside is the best part.


The second piece is this milk pitcher. I tilted it so that you can see the signature on the bottom.


After some dickering, we got both pieces for a very fair price.
Since this was the last stop for today, the markings on the bottom of the pitcher seem appropriate:
"The End".


I was going to stop with "The End" (a pretty logical place to stop after all) but I had to include just one off-topic photo. This is the view from the back window in our little Casita. We start and end our days with the sound the the river, the quacking of the ducks who live along it, and a beautiful view of the Smoky Mountains.


Perfect!



This post is linked to:
Amaze Me Monday at Dwellings
Wow Us Wednesday at Savvy Southern Style
Flaunt It Friday at Chic On a Shoestring
Spring & Easter Blogger Party at Decor to Adore

4 comments:

  1. I love the Smokey Mountains and weekend there often. The little towns with great shops and especially great antique stores are so much fun to look in. I didn't know you collect M.A. Hadley pottery. It is very cool but we don't see a lot of it around here. Love the cookie jar!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Linda,
    M.A. Hadley pottery is getting harder to find, even in the South (it's made in Kentucky) but I love how whimsical it is and every piece is hand painted. The Smokies are beautiful, aren't they? I hate to leave but it's almost time to head back North into the cold:-( Take care, Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, my, this is the type of place I could spend hours in! What a wonderful place and your finds are so great to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Betty; it was a lot of fun. Found a huge antique shop today, The Tobacco Barn in Ashville. It was so big I was overwhelmed but lots of great stuff. It's fun antiquing in different parts of the country. Thanks for stopping by! Cheryl

      Delete

I hope you'll leave a Comment . . . they make this blogger's day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...