Tuesday, March 12, 2019

Road Trip: Shenandoah Valley, VA

After two days of driving, we decided to stop in Virginia's Shenandoah Valley for a few days. That's part of the fun of carrying our "house" (aka the Casita) with us on road trips. Within a mile of I-81 we were in the country and passing remnants of a world that looked as if time had somehow forgotten it.


I have a thing for abandoned buildings. I like to imagine what life was like for the people who lived and worked in them.


So, within a few minutes of exiting the highway, I was screaming to DH, "Pull Over! Pull Over!  I need to take a picture!" 


After a few stops to take pictures, we did eventually arrive at our campground . . . 


Unhook the Casita . . . 


And stare in amazement at the signs of Spring we are seeing here: Crocus in bloom , fields just turning green , baby lambs and calves with their mothers, and temperatures in the high 60's to low 70's.


After we got settled, we decided to go for a ride to explore the area's back roads.
As usual, I almost got shot!
It goes like this: 
Me: "Pull over! Pull Over!"
DH: "This land is posted; it says 'No Trespassing.'"
Me:  "Pull Over, anyway. I'm just going to take ONE little picture. We're in the middle of nowhere, Who will know? Anyway, I'm not Hunting or Poaching!"
DH pulls over. I get out and completely disobey the sign, walking all around the abandoned property with my camera and (as I realized too late) wearing my you-can't-miss-me blaze orange sweatshirt, when I hear the sound of a very large, very old, very in-need-of-a-tune-up pick-up truck.  I freeze behind the abandoned house. No more loud muffler sounds; the truck has stopped. I'm Dead!


I can't hide! I can only rely on D.H., who is very good with people, to save me. I come around the far side of the abandoned property to see a huge, rusty gray pick-up truck pulled up next to our SUV.  And a big guy in a t-shirt with a Confederate flag on the pocket, leaning into the driver's side.
"Oh, S**t, DH is toast", I think.


But, DH plays the "tourists from Maine" card and we're saved, at least this time!  I jump into the car with my camera and we take off. Big truck guy only follows for a mile or two.


DH and I are both fascinated by the Civil War. We passed many battlefield markers along the roadside and were saddened by the numbers of men who were lost in innocent-looking cornfields along the quiet country roads we traveled. 

At the end of Day #1, we came upon "Dan's Steak House" on a steep hill in the middle of a mountain pass. On a whim, which is how we always seem to discover great places when we travel, we made a U-turn.  And enjoyed the best dinner we've had in a long time, everything homemade, with a mountain view to die for, and all for $20.00 each. Sometimes, you just have to take a chance!


On Monday, our 2nd day in the Valley, we decided to get off the beaten path and take old Rt. 42 south from Harrisonburg. What a beautiful ride! In many places, we were reminded of the English countryside as we drove along narrow curvy roads high above the valley.  In most areas, the little roads followed rushing streams with fat black cows grazing in almost every field. 


And then we came to the village of  Stokesville. All that was left of this once-thriving village was the abandoned railroad station . . . 



And a narrow train bridge that now carries a little road over the nearby stream.


A random "Which way? Left or right?" decision in the middle of nowhere led us to Virginia's Natural Chimneys.


"The Shenandoah Valley was once the floor of a great inland sea. Centuries ago, as that sea receded, the forces of nature carefully etched out an awe-inspiring formation of solid rock. The seven Natural Chimneys tower as much as 120 feet above the pastoral terrain of the Valley." 
~from Natural Chimneys Park website.



We got so "into" our surroundings that, when we decided to head back, we realized that we were almost 70 miles away from our campground.


Today, we're headed to Charlottesville to tour Thomas Jefferson's home at Monticello. We also have tickets for the Sally Hemings Tour, which focuses on the life of Jefferson's slaves.

 Looking forward to another interesting day in Virginia,


5 comments:

  1. Love your postings...so detailed and descriptive I almost feel like I am with you. Glad "Big Bubba" was kinda the friendly sort. No picture of him? Haha...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing better than a road trip to U.S. places you never been to before!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, Mary! There’s so much to see in this beautiful country. Thanks for taking the time to comment! - Cheryl

      Delete
  3. Old abandoned places always make me wonder what stories they could tell if the walls could talk.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Dee, I'm the same way! Whenever we pass an abandoned building, I yell at DH, to stop the car so I can go exploring. I love imagining the people who lived or worked there and what their lives were like. Thanks so much for stopping by and for taking the time to leave a comment! ~Cheryl

    ReplyDelete

I hope you'll leave a Comment . . . they make this blogger's day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...