Sunday, March 17, 2019

Book Review: Becoming, by Michelle Obama

Since DH has done most of the driving on our road trip, I've had some extra time to read.  A friend lent me Michelle Obama's new memoir, Becoming, and, as the miles went by on one interstate after another, I finally had the chance to finish it.

Mrs. Obama divides the book into three parts: “Becoming Me,” “Becoming Us” and “Becoming More.” 

In “Becoming Me,”  Michelle Obama recounts her experiences growing up in a small apartment on the south side of Chicago alongside her mother, father and brother, Craig. She remembers her father's strong work ethic in spite of multiple sclerosis and the time her mother spent teaching her to read. She recalls the times she sat with her Aunt Robbie and labored over piano lessons (Boy, could I identify with that!). At school, even in kindergarten, she notes that she "just wanted to achieve". She shares her mother's advice about bullies: "Just remember that they're just scared people hiding inside scary people". That advice served her well long after she left childhood behind.
Due to her hard work, and her parents' support and high expectations, Michelle was accepted at Princeton, where she was a minority student for the first time, learning to navigate in a white world. She then went to Harvard to study law, followed by her first job, where she met her future husband, Barack Obama.

Michelle at Princeton
In "Becoming Us" and "Becoming More", Mrs Obama opens up about her marriage and children, including her experiences with in vitro fertilization.  She shares stories of  her time on the campaign trail and insights into her transition to life in the White House. 

The theme woven through Michelle's story is how a few key people in a life can support a young girl and elevate her, so that she, in turn, can elevate others. It is with this in mind that she developed her priorities in her years as First Lady.

I enjoyed Becoming. Probably because I admire Michelle Obama. The book was written in a conversational style and the story drew me in. It read almost like a novel and, even though I knew what was going to happen next, I couldn't wait to read about it in Michelle Obama's own words.


My sense is that if you liked the Obama's, you'll like this book.  If you did not, you probably won't.

OK, I admit it: I included this next photo for two not-very-literary reasons:
                             1. I LOVE the dress, and,
                             2. Who wouldn't love a man to look at them that way?


Both as a teenager and later as First Lady of the United States, Michelle Obama asks the question many women and girls ask themselves, "Am I good enough?" 
She insists that the correct answer is, "Yes I am."



This post is linked to:
Happiness Is Homemade Link Party 262 at Bluesky at Home 
Sundays at Home at Little Farmstea
Over the Moon Link Party at Eclectic Red Barn
Wonderful Wednesday at The Eclectic Red Barn
Keep In Touch #60 at Let's Add Sprinkels

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review! I saw her on TV promoting the book and i thought it would be an interesting read!! Thanks too for stopping by!!
    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Deb, It was an interesting read; I enjoyed going "behind the scenes". Good to hear from you! Thanks for taking the time to comment. ~Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad I saw this post and thanks for writing it. I haven't read her book yet but am looking forward to it. I agree about the picture of them dancing. Of course, you knew that someone had to get political! I wonder if, when the current first lady's book comes out how much will be her truth or how much will be plagerized! Have a wonderful Wednesday..Judy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Judy, So glad you took moment to comment on the book. I tried very hard to review the book without letting my politics show but, I have to admit, I worked on Obama's campaign so maybe I am a little prejudiced politically. Maybe the current first lady can just copy the whole book and entitle it "Becoming Again"! (Oh, Dear!) I'll be visiting your blog next. Have a great day! ~Cheryl

      Delete
  4. I read this book last month and wrote about it too. It's amazing, really interesting and inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jasmine, I'm so glad you stopped by and took the time to leave a comment. I'd love to read what you wrote about the book. I admire Michelle Obama and found her story really interesting... from little blue-collar inner-city black girl to First Lady - what an inspiring ride! Have a good weekend, Cheryl

      Delete
  5. I didn't realize that she had invitro. I love our first ladies and I love seeing the fashion sense that they bring to White House along with their passion for causes that help the country. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi again, Katie, I hadn't realized that she had had in vitro until I read the book. Like you, I admire all of our first ladies - what a tough job they have! Hugs, Cheryl

    ReplyDelete

I hope you'll leave a Comment . . . they make this blogger's day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...