Thursday, September 18, 2014

Chemo Scarf Pattern

I was overwhelmed by the response to my September 14th post about sewing "Nancy's scarves" for cancer patients. So many of you have asked for the pattern that I'm posting it here.
Feel free to share.

Cut a pattern out of newspaper or craft paper. Pattern is an isosceles triangle 29-1/4" long on one side and 20-1/2" long on the other 2 sides. 5/8 seam is allowed in the pattern.
Here's my well-used pattern . . . coffee spills and all!
Since the scarf is reversible, for each scarf you will be will be cutting the pattern twice - once from each of two coordinating fabrics. Be sure to place on the fold of the fabric when cutting out.

 
 

Sew the two scarf pieces together, right sides together. Leave an opening for turning. Turn the scarf right side out and press. Topstitch 1/4 to 3/8 inch from the edge and you're done!



My sister was such a good sport about modeling for me!
Since Nancy was a 3rd/4th grade teacher, I made her scarves for every holiday. The kids loved them. Here she is in her Halloween scarf  . . . so many happy memories, yet my eyes still tear up.

Occasionally, Nancy would just wear this to make the kids laugh!
 
I don't have a pattern for the Mickey Mouse hat so we'll all just have to stick to sewing scarves!
 
If you would like to learn about ovarian cancer, you can read Nancy's story, in her own words, here.
Thanks to each of you for doing this in memory of Nancy and all of our "sisters" who have been touched by cancer. 
 
Happy Sewing!
 
 
 This post is gratefully linked to:
I Quilt at Pretty Bobbins
Needle & Thread Thursday at My Quilt Infatuation
Tutorial Tuesday at Hope Studios

8 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for the pattern--looks more complicated, but I get it now: you turn up a 'cuff', which because it is made with 2 different fabrics makes it look more complicated. Nice! I am making copies of the pattern to give to my sewing group and quilt guild so that others can make these to give to cancer patients in our community. Nancy's Scarf will live on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for clarifying the info about the cuff. I also was wondering where that came from. It looks to be about 2 inches wide.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for the pattern. I didn't comment on the original post because you had so many. My niece is in the middle of theropy. She had every side effect they ever heard of from her radiation and chemo and burned so badly that they stopped the radiation treatments before schedule. She has had to continue working through all of it to be able to continue her insurance....she works for a hospital...go figure. She wears a wig to work, but I know she will love to be gifted scarves and also to take them to others who are getting treatments. Thank you so much for sharing.
    xx, Carol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marlene at 71 Sunflower LaneSeptember 19, 2014 at 6:46 AM

    Cheryl, thanks for the pattern. I think of how difficult this must be at times to share........but you give us such a gift. Don't know if it is frosty where you are but it is New Brunswick--so enjoy this day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sad but lovely. Andi

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't understand these instructions. Where is she getting the reversible headband or "cuff" if it's just 2 triangles turned inside-out?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, I am using this pattern for a drive that I am having to collect chemo head scarves as well as knit/crochet hats. I reference your blog and link. I also use the beautiful photos that you took of your sister. You may find all of this at our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/OperationChemoComfort/ I wanted to email you but didn't find your contact information on your blog, which is quite lovely, by the way. Thanks, Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I keep trying to figure out if the 20-1/2 wide, on the fold includes the 5//8" or the 20-1/2 wide is INSIDE the dotted lines. Also, are you washing all your fabrics first? If so, with what?

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...